Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring turkey season

The spring turkey season is here and in the February issue of Field and Stream they had a project to build a Gobbler Grabber or Turkey Tote. They had a pretty simple design that I thought could look more appealing. I had decided that having the cord dig into the shoulder wouldn't cut it. I had to make it wide so that it would carry that big bird more comfortably. The ladder rack knot fit this situation perfectly. It's not a fast knot to tie, and was the most time consuming part of the project. Of course you can't tie something like this without putting in a few more fancy knots. We have a lanyard knot for the loop. Under the ladder rack knot we have ABOK #778. Under the antler we have a 2 strand Mathew Walker knot. The antler was a shed from a white tail deer. I cut it with the cut off wheel on my dremel. I've used a hacksaw before and it worked okay but it took some time. I made sure there were no sharp edges on the antler by using the sanding wheel. I drilled a pilot hole then used a larger bit so that two strands could fit through with a little bit of difficulty.


Tom Caddy


No comments:

Post a Comment